March 16, 2007

NCAA Tournament Paradise: The Dance is Now


This morning is a toast, to the best weekend of the year. We are (in my opinion) amidst the greatest four-day stretch of the sports year. 48 college basketball games in 4 days. Ah, yes. The time to fill out your bracket is passed. Now it's time to sit back and squirm as the mid-major programs upset the big guys over and over and cause you to throw away your bracket just as soon as you filled it out. For those students still in high school, it's time to sneak out of class to find your way into the coach's office to catch 10 minutes of the current game. Take a long bathroom break. Get sick and go home. If you're in college, going to class isn't even an option. Stay in the dorm or fraternity house. Don't get off the couch.

But how in the world can you ever predict a winner in this thing we call "The Dance"? Well, you can't. But here is a guy who thinks he has discovered a formula.

In the end, the one who picks the Final Four teams will be the lady who picked one team due to having a cousin who knew a girl who knew a guy that went to school there, another team because of their cuddly looking mascot, the third team because their jerseys match her favorite color, and the fourth team because she would someday like to visit North Carolina. And this is the kind of person who wins the bracket contest.

For me, I will sit back and hope my beloved Volunteers can find a way to reverse their typical post-season fate and make a run to the Sweet 16.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've got GT winning a couple more games. They made me really nervous early on. We're now tied 40-40. Good Luck on UT.

Luke said...

Chad,
I'm sorry about Georgia Tech. I thought they might pull it out. Now I'm the one biting my fingernails. Do you have a second favorite?

Luke

Anonymous said...

I had GT taking out Wisconsin (who may not win their first game). I then had Notre Dame (having their own problems) taking out Georgia Tech. As long Florida comes through, I'll still ok in the Midwest. I have Texas A&M winning it all.

Luke said...

Now, was that Texas A&M or Texas A&M-Corpus Christi??? I have Wisconsin in my Final Four.

Anonymous said...

I have Texas A&M winning the championship. Wisconsin should not be having this problem with TXCC, but it sure is fun.

BTW I uploaded my bracket on my blog. Thanks for the idea. I can always take it down in shame later.

Ted Ancelet said...

I got Kansas taking all!

So far I'm winning here at the office (which is incredibly ironic since I've never played a game of basketball in my life)...we'll see how things end up.

GO VOLS!!!

Luke said...

Way to beat those office thugs, Ted. Kansas could be a good pick, though I hope the Salukies can beat them tonight.

Let's both hope the Vols can pull the upset.

Anonymous said...

The South region games were way too close last night to choose the "best" team. I thought both Texas A&M and Tenn got robbed. Coming back from 20 down? You know officiating had to help. Taking 1.1 seconds away from the Aggies? C'mon! 3.1 seconds left on the clock was a short enough after giving Memphis free throws to win. Fortunately, life is good outside of the brackets.

Luke said...

Last night's games were more than a basketball fan could ask for. I was so bummed that Tennessee lost, but they did it to themselves. Free throws, free throws, free throws. Well, there is plenty more basketball ahead. And yes, thankfully there is more life outside of bracketville.